The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht is one of the 19 national institutions of the Hermann von Helmholtz Association of German Research Centres e.V. (HGF). Around 1000 employees carry out basic research and development work in close cooperation with national and international research institutions, research-oriented clinics and economic and public institutions.
At the Institute of Materials Research some 200 scientists conduct research in the five sub-institutes "Materials Mechanics", "Materials Physics", "Materials Technology", "Magnesium Innovation Centre MagIC" and "Metallic Biomaterials".
Web Developer Frontend/Backend (m/f/d)
Reference code: 50012263_2
Commencement date: as soon as possible
The Institute of Materials Research at HZG focusses on the development of lightweight alloys by optimization of microstructural and mechanical properties for specific applications based on scientific knowledge. To this end, it is crucial to understand the mechanisms governing the interactions between composition, processing and fabrication parameters, microstructure and mechanical properties. Presumption for this scientific work is the unambiguous assignment of experimental data to the materials tested as well as safe and clear storage and ordering of data of materials, processing and measured properties. To overcome the inherent disadvantages of hand-written laboratory notebooks and to fulfill the requirements of open data assessment development the implementation of an electronic laboratory notebook (ELN) is intended. Here, special focus is laid on user-friendly data input.
Within this framework, we are looking for a Web Developer Frontend/Backend (m/f/d)
Development of electronic laboratory notebook. The position is initially limited for three years (starting as soon as possible).
- You will be responsible for the development and implementation of an ELN containing processing and experimental data from various sources (e.g. data from different fabrication steps and materials data including microstructure and mechanical properties). Working basis are existing digital and paper documentations and paper lab notebooks. You will work in close cooperation with colleagues of different departments and different disciplines responsible for processing of materials, fabrication of components and assessment of experimental data. Aim is to accomplish a practice oriented user interface for input as well as for assessment of data.In detail, you will be responsible for:
- Concept, design and implementation of ELN as web application (backend and frontend)
- Development of the underlying database concept considering especially the very different data sources and identifying their common features in order to enable consistent and easy access to and evaluation of data
- design and implementation of input and output interfaces with a particular focus on usability
- Installation of hardware for entering data on site of material production and analysis, i.e. manual input as well as automated parameter and results transfer
- Step-wise feeding of the database with suitable existing data under continuous testing
- Administration of user rights for different parts of the application
- Continuous maintenance of the application and adaption to newly developed processes
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree or Diploma in Computer Science, Engineering or comparable
- strong analytical skills and sound theoretical background
- sound experience in web application development (frontend and backend)
- experience in automated documentation of manufacturing processes is appreciated
- Background knowledge in the field of materials research is appreciated
- Team spirit, excellent communication and organization skills, fluent English
We offer you
- multinational work environment with over 1000 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- an appropriate salary related to the German public tariff (TV-AVH) plus the usual social benefits for the public employment sector
The promotion of equal rights is a matter of course for us. Severely disabled persons and those equaling severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
Application deadline: 09.03.2020
Job location: Geesthacht
Contact: Ms. Erika Kruger