Grey suits, legacy systems, long hours - you know finance, right? Think again.
Founded in 2010, we’re a small tech business run by programmers.
Using cutting edge technologies and complex algorithms, we analyse petabytes of structured and unstructured data to trade in a way that’s impossible for humans. Our trading is entirely automated and we look to bring automation to everything we do. This allows our teams to focus on what matters most - solving the complex and challenging problems that grow our business.
We have a huge amount of new work to do: new markets, new instruments, new data, new execution venues. So along with extending our 3rd generation system, there is a lot of greenfield development work.
Now 40 people and growing, we’re a close-knit team of computer scientists, engineers, mathematicians and other talented individuals who collaborate to solve hard problems. Our business is well suited to the curious and intellectually-honest, those who are committed to working collaboratively with others to help grow our business.
Our people are kind, diverse, friendly and humble and bring a wealth of experience from the likes of Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Yandex, tech start ups, hedge funds and banks. They’ve joined to play a personal part in the growth of our business and deliver tangible results to our trading and bottom line.
We're looking for a Systems Engineer to join our team of 4. The role has a variety of core responsibilities as well as project opportunities, and will evolve as the business grows.
- Development and maintenance of all our systems, including Linux servers and desktops, VMs and containers, networking devices, databases, storage solutions and a handful of Windows hosts
- Work on a diverse range of projects - recent examples include building our own HA hypervisor cluster and our own container creation tool, both using Open Source technologies
- Contribute to the development of configuration management and automation of routine tasks
- Learn, trial and implement new technologies
- Proactively deal with monitoring alerts and help develop the monitoring platform
- Provide support for issues and user requests
- Implement and adhere to system and network security
- Identify and drive best practice standards, with a focus on Open Source offerings where feasible
- You have Linux SysAdmin experience (not just a user), preferably alongside experience of Ubuntu or other Debian-based distributions
- You have experience with configuration management (ideally Puppet or Salt) and scripting in Shell, Python or Ruby
- You have experience with IP networking, such as switching, routing, multicast, TCP/IP, VLANs
- You have a basic understanding of NAS, SAN or distributed storage architectures such as Ceph
- You’re self-directed and can effectively and independently manage your time across various projects
- You’re honest, reliable and take pride in your work
- You have excellent attention to detail and strong documentation skills
- You’re enthusiastic, driven to develop your skills and open to new ideas
- You’re flexible, adaptable and can jump from individual contributor to collaborative team member
- You have excellent troubleshooting and critical thinking skills
- You have strong communication skills, a simple, down-to-earth style when articulating ideas and are able to communicate effectively with people of varying technical abilities
- Ideally you will have a strong undergraduate degree in a numerate discipline from a top-tier university
- Finance experience is not required
We’re fortunate enough to have a fantastic open-plan office, where we provide breakfast, snacks, a music room, games, a library, the obligatory ping pong table and yoga sessions overlooking the London skyline.
We offer competitive compensation, a generous holiday allowance, various health benefits (medical, dental, and a private GP), travel insurance, life insurance, 10% employer pension, gym membership (plus an on-site gym), subsidised music lessons and regular social events.
We’re also big believers in learning, and work hard to support the professional development of our team through tailored training, coaching and tuition.
THERE'S SO MUCH THAT WE WANT TO BUILD AND WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN, SO IT’S AN IDEAL TIME TO JOIN OUR TEAM AND BE PART OF THE JOURNEY! IF YOU’RE INTERESTED, WE’D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU.