Join the European XFEL
European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km-long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide range of experimental techniques. Experiment operation started in September 2017.
To ensure continuous software support for experiments we are looking for our Controls Software group for a
Software Engineer (f/m/d) – Distributed Systems
- Maintain and develop the EuXFEL control system (Karabo) within an experienced team
- Drive the release of our software as open source
- Perform code review and pair programming
- Write unit – and integration tests
- Participate in the on call duties to support the facility operations
- Bachelor, Master or PhD in Computer Science or similar technical field of study (e.g. Engineering, Physics or Mathematics)
- Proficient knowledge in Python and Object-oriented programming
- Experience with C++ is considered an asset
- Knowledge of the CONDA packaging system is an asset
- Familiarity with Git and Gitlab CI is an asset
- Experience in using a python based web framework (django, flask, tornado, …) is an asset
- Experience with the deployment system Ansible is an asset
- English is the working language, knowledge of German is considered an asset
Become part of a vibrant international and multi-cultural team of scientists, engineers, technical and administrative staff. Be involved in cutting edge scientific and technical progress, participate in our international networks, and shape your life upon trust based flexible working times and telecommuting options. Experience our atmosphere of tolerance and respect.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany. In addition European XFEL provides a non-contributory company pension scheme, broad relocation benefits, a subsidized job-ticket as well as our brand-new company restaurant “BeamStop”. The European XFEL GmbH intends to achieve a widely international staff. Non-German candidates hired from abroad receive an international allowance.
Reference number: E-241
Duration: This appointment is limited to 2 years.
Please apply online and provide a cover letter next to a CV in English, as well as your work certificates in one single PDF-file.
Handicapped persons will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants. The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
Deadline: March 10th 2020
For additional information, please contact Dr. Christopher Youngman ([email protected]).
Working place will be Schenefeld, in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found under http://www.xfel.eu/careers .
European XFEL GmbH
Holzkoppel 4, 22869 Schenefeld, Germany