Job Description:We take pride in our focus on software engineering fundamentals and pragmatism. With engineers from previous companies such as Google, Facebook, Atlassian, Amazon, and Yahoo, the team strives to use the most appropriate tools for the tasks at hand - striking a measured balance between getting things done and long-term maintainability.
This is an opportunity to be one of the foundational members of the Data Engineering function at Canva; building out the infrastructure to support the efforts of the Data Science and Data Analytics capability across the entire business - ensuring we continue to deliver business value and rich features and functionality to our millions of users around the world.
- Designing, building, future-proofing and operating large scale data infrastructure in production (performance, reliability, monitoring)
- Thinking through long-term impacts of key design decisions and handling failure scenarios
- Responsibility for the continued development of new features, functionality, and optimisation from raw data ingestion, to the access and serving layers.
- Responsibility for the delivery of of Data projects from inception to deployment across a wide range of initiatives across the business; in conjunction with Growth, Experiments, Analytics, and the Data Science Team
Required Experience & Skills
- Previous Software engineering experience in large distributed environments
- Previous experience developing solutions in Java, Python, or Scala
- Experience writing MapReduce and/or Apache Spark jobs in a high load production environment
- An understanding of distributed data processing methodologies, frameworks, and best practices
- An understanding of the broader Hadoop and Big Data ecosysystem - tools such as Presto, Airflow, Luigi, etc
- Experience working in cloud-hosted Linux environments (AWS, Google Cloud, Azure)
- Solid understanding of databases with solid working knowledge of SQL
- Clear communication skills and ability to work cross-functionally across the business
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day
- Fitness membership allowance, plus free Yoga and Boxing Gym membership
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- Fun and quirky celebrations
- Relocation budget for interstate or overseas individuals (see below for visa information)
The Canva workspace is set up for you to do your best work and have a great time doing so, with breakout areas, little nooks, and quiet places to retreat.
Want to experience Canva for yourself?
Check out what life is like at Canva on Instagram.
Check out what our users are saying about us on Twitter.
Learn how we work from Dave, our CTO
Get to know our Chef, Chris
Meet our CEO, Melanie
Finally, give Canva a go!
If you're seeking professional growth and enjoy working on large, distributed, cloud-based applications that delight our millions of individual and business users alike - then apply now to be considered for the position!
If you require visa sponsorship, you must ensure you have at least two (2) years of post-University commercial experience as a Software Engineer and meet the mandatory sponsorship requirements laid out by Department of Home Affairs.
We will not accept or review any CVs from external recruitment agencies.