Waters Corporation is the world's leading specialty measurement company focused on improving human health and wellbeing through the application of advanced analytical science technologies.
The software we develop is helping scientists all over the world to better understand the biochemical world, developing drugs to fight cancer, plants to revolutionise biofuel production, improve food safety, and so much more.
Job level and salary will be dependent on experience.
We’re looking for a Software Engineer to join a team creating scientific software for a wide range of end-user types from highly experienced research scientists through to lab administration, junior analyst and clinician.
What can we offer?
In addition to competitive salaries, we provide 25 days holidays, excellent family friendly benefits such as attractive employer pension contribution, life assurance, income protection, private medical & dental, on-site gym and on-site restaurant, and free parking on-site.
Our core working hours are from 10am to 3pm, in a 37-hour week. This allows you to have the flexibility to start earlier & finish earlier or start later & finish later to give you the ability to manage personal and family commitments and have some true work-life balance.
A Positive, Supportive & Collaborative Environment:
Within the team, you’ll have the opportunity to explore & practise with a wide variety of software technologies and analytical instrumentation. We work in a highly supportive environment where mentoring, coaching and training is provided throughout your career. With Waters, there are plenty of opportunities for you to grow, develop and contribute.
The chance to make a difference:
The software we develop is helping scientists all over the world to develop and produce novel solutions across the markets served by Waters. By providing easy to use workflows and investigative capabilities, we help scientists get better results, sooner. That can, for example, translate to new, life-enhancing drugs.
What does the role involve?
- Design, develop and maintain all aspects of software developed by the Instrument Control Software department.
- Work in close partnership with software test engineers to improve product quality.
- Provide code and supporting documentation in accordance with the software development processes and codes of practice.
- Give software and technical support to internal and external users.
- Identify opportunities for improved productivity, efficiency and quality.
- Build strong working relationships with other departments.
- Technologies you can expect to use, but not limited to, are: C++, C, Linux APIs.
What are we looking for?
- Degree (or equivalent) in a science, engineering or computing related subject.
- Proven development experience in C++ on Linux. Candidates with C rather than C++ will also be considered.
- Knowledge of the Linux system APIs and sysfs interfaces.
- Knowledge of the Linux library APIs, such as POSIX threads, Berkley sockets.
- Passionate about software development, which you can clearly convey by your actions and experiences.
- Extensive technical expertise.
- Excellent communication and decision-making skills.
- Experience developing software for analytical instrumentation would be desirable.
- Experience of developing Linux OS/device drivers would be desirable.
- Experience building embedded Linux OS would be desirable.
- Experience of developing for embedded Linux OS/device drivers would be desirable.
- Knowledge of Linux system initialisation process, particularly with systemd would be desirable.
- A passion for implementing excellence and a thorough understanding of the craft.
- Experience working across functions and closely with teams.
- Strong communication skills.
- Enjoy solving complex problems.
- Ability to work under own guidance as well as in a team.