Waters Corporation is the world's leading specialty measurement company focused on improving human health and wellbeing through the application of advanced analytical science technologies.
At Waters Newcastle, we make software to work with our specialty instruments. The software we develop is helping scientists all over the world to better understand the biochemical world, developing drugs to fight cancer, plants to revolutionise biofuel production, improve food safety, and so much more.
We're looking for new software engineers to be based in our Newcastle Office, with experience developing applications, either on the desktop or the web, to help us create our best-in-class scientific analysis software.
What can we offer?
A positive development experience
- The Newcastle office is home to a small development team. We care about making good software with a good user experience. We give our developers time and resources to learn new skills and languages. We value team communication and collaboration. We have testers, product owners and scientists integrated in the team. We use agile development practices and try to learn from our mistakes.
Big-company benefits; small team attitude
- Waters is a large company providing good employee benefits, including a company pension scheme, stock purchase plan, and a health-care package that can extend to family. The Waters Newcastle team have the best of both worlds, we're part of a large organization but still operate as a small team. We have a flexible approach to work and maintain a friendly, inclusive working environment.
- Our core working hours are from 10 am to 3 pm, in a 37-hour week. There is the option to work from home on some days during the week. We have a flexible approach to working around appointments and unexpected home events. We don't work over-time, there are no regular travel requirements, and we don't want people checking emails or work messages at home.
What does the role involve?
We don't expect people to have experience in all aspects of software development. We have a team with diverse skills to help with that. This list is here to give an overview of what software developers in Newcastle are involved with:
- Being part of a multi-functional development team working across the full development life-cycle.
- Helping business analysts and domain experts to gather and refine requirements.
- Helping the team generate appropriate designs to meet functional and non-functional requirements.
- Writing code to implement designs.
- Working with C#, WPF, .NET Core, web technologies (Angular, TypeScript).
- Testing, and creating automated tests for, the software we produce.
- Contributing to team processes, like stand-ups and retrospectives.
What are we looking for?
Like above, we don't expect a complete match on all the items in these lists. We're interested in building a team and developing people, and provide training where needed.
- Experience of developing applications, either on desktop Windows or the web.
- Experience of unit testing.
- Experience of UI design.
- A degree in a science, engineering or computing related subject, or relevant experience.
- Knowledge of agile development practices.
- A team player who can work with enthusiasm in a collaborative environment.
- A good communicator of both technical and non-technical information.
- Interested in learning new things, both new programming technologies, and the science behind our software.
- Comfortable talking to scientists, sales and marketing and our customers to gather requirements, feedback and track down bugs.
- Passion for developing software.
You do need to be eligible to work in the UK and willing to relocate (if necessary) to Newcastle upon Tyne.