We don’t just collect data, we connect data. YouGov is an international data and analytics group with the ambition to become a unique part of the global internet infrastructure - like Google for search, Facebook for social, Amazon for retail, we want it to be YouGov for opinion. Our value chain is a virtuous circle consisting of a highly engaged online panel, innovative data collection methods and powerful analytics technology. From the beginning we had one simple idea: the more people are able to participate in the decisions made by the institutions that serve them, the better those decisions will be. We are a global online community for millions of people, and thousands of organisations, to engage in a continuous conversation about their beliefs, behaviours and brands, and provide a more accurate portrait of what the world thinks.
We are searching for an experienced Python Developer to join the team that builds and supports BrandIndex, its enterprise business intelligence platform for brand health monitoring and analysis. Every day we collect data from more than 20,000 online interviews worldwide in 40 countries and deliver it to customers via the visualization dashboard, an API, and raw data feeds. You will play a key role in the further development of all backend services, including a column-oriented database, ETL jobs, data processing tasks, message queuing, and caching services. All the backend services are written primarily in Python.
What will I be doing?
- You will work with experienced members of the BrandIndex team and collaborate with other development teams across YouGov’s projects.
- You will add new features, optimize existing ones, and continually seek to improve the performance of the backend services.
- You will work primarily on the backend, middleware, and databases, but everyone on the team touches the whole stack. Optimization is crucial to deliver our data as fast as possible to our platforms and clients.
- You will, with the team as a whole, ensure 24/7 uptime and performance of YouGov’s leading syndicated product with customers across the globe.
- You will use the latest and best tools that Python developers embrace, including Gitlab, Docker, Kubernetes, Mongo clusters, Redshift, ZeroMQ, and Flask.
- You will expand test coverage, profile performance, and troubleshoot as needed.
- You will also have an inquisitive and innovative style to ensure that you are constantly thinking of ways to challenge our current ways of working and come up with new developments and ideas.
What do I need to bring with me?
- You love challenges and to learn new things everyday.
- You are a skilled professional software developer with knowledge of Python, 2 and 3.
- You are used to working with PostgreSQL, MongoDB, AWS, Git, Kubernetes, NumPy, Pandas, Cython, and a Python web framework such as Flask or Django.
- You have experience with numerical computation, databases, and ETL processes.
- You are committed to producing well-tested, beautiful code and working with a pull-request workflow.
- You recognize the value of test driven development and have the ability to take a project from start to finish.
Some additional information . . .
This is a full time, permanent role, supporting US and UK time zones so will require offset shift working, including night shifts. We are a global team with developers on US and European hours.