Xrysi Eukairia is the leading classified ads company in Greece, specializing in the Real Estate, Jobs, Auto-Moto and Business sectors. More than 1.5 million people in Greece browse Xrysi Eukairia every month.
Our ambition in Xrysi Eukairia is to create a unique environment that will help people effortlessly match supply and demand. Whether it be in real estate, jobs, auto/moto or any of the hundred other categories we support, our goal is to offer an efficient marketplace that promotes such transactions. Under new leadership and with focus on customer satisfaction, we are looking for people to join our Engineering department in order to help achieve these goals.
About the job opportunity
This is a technical role with frequent liaison with the product team. You will be a part of the backend team and use your experience to design new features and enhance existing ones. Daily coordination with the frontend team is required in order to design APIs that are self-explanatory, easily maintainable and testable. Troubleshooting defects in existing application code is also a part of this job.
What Will I Be Doing?
As a Software Developer you will:
- Participate in the design, development and testing of existing and new software applications.
- Work in collaboration with our frontend team in order to translate the company and customer needs into state-of the-art, functional and beautiful interactive applications.
- Write clean and maintainable code, utilizing our coding conventions.
- Deliver the best quality code that you can to make our products and sites easier to use.
- Pay attention to agility and strive for small, frequent and incremental releases that continuously provide value.
- Keep a lookout for and smartly select and pursue refactoring & restructuring opportunities to make our code easier to understand and maintain.
What skills do I need?
- You'll need to have some experience as a backend developer with Java. Understanding of basic OOP principles, design patterns and basic knowledge of SQL and relational database systems is essential. Knowledge of RESTful API design and Spring is also required.
- Working knowledge of version control (Git) and continuous integration & delivery systems like Jenkins or Teamcity.
- Ideally, you should have a clear understanding of all the systems that make an HTTP round trip possible, have a good grasp of an additional programming language other than Java (doesn't matter which) and know a thing or two about Maven, Jenkins, Tomcat, MongoDB and Memcached.
- Greek candidates need to have fulfilled military obligations and ability to communicate in Greek and English (verbal & written form, business proficiency).
Where will I be working?
Your place of work will be our Athens office.
What happens when I apply?
The first step in our hiring process is to review your CV. If you seem to be qualified for this position, we will be having a quick phone call with you to welcome you to the process and we will give you a take home code challenge to work on your own time. Once you submit the response to the code challenge, we will have an onsite interview. The interview time is focused on cultural fit and technical discussion that will make heavy use of your response to the code challenge. The final step is to have a quick onsite discussion to make a proposal.