We are looking to recruit a
Scientific Programmer in the area of simulation models for terrestrial systems
You will contribute to state of the art research on the sustainable use of soil and water resources including improved predictions with terrestrial system models and impact of climate change on terrestrial systems.
This includes especially:
- parallelization of state-of-the-art simulation models on high performance computing systems
- implementation of hydrogeophysical algorithms for modelling and inversion of electromagnetical induction and surface und borehole georadar
- coupling of simulation models for terrestrial systems and data assimilation algorithms for parallel computation
- implementation of models on a Beowulf Linux Cluster (1024 cores) and on the high performance computation systems JUWELS and JUQUEEN
- documentation of work progress in project reports and coordination of proposals for compute time on supercomputers
- technical consultation for institute staff in order to make better use of available HPC platforms
- support for courses in the area of modelling of terrestrial systems and parallel simulation methods
- involvement in software development life-cycle (source control, debugging, testing and documentation)
- university degree (MSc or PhD , possibly BSc) in computer science or geosciences (with a strong background in programming and computing) with focus on software development for HPC/Cluster platforms
- job experience is of advantage, but not needed
- experience in the installation, operation and maintenance of Linux-based open-source software packages
- experience with designing, implementing and maintaining software components using programming languages like C/C++, Fortran and Python
- knowledge of parallel programming models like MPI, OpenMP or Pthreads
- familiarity with programming languages like R, Matlab, Cuda and Shell Scripting is of advantage
- team-oriented work style with a pro-active attitude to solve problems
- a very good control of English language for daily communication in an internationally composed research team
Please do not let lack of some skills make you feel you are ineligible for the position. If some skills are missing, they can generally be taught.
- possibility to continue the technical and scientific education with international experts, workshops and conferences
- development of your personal strengths through a wide spectrum of advanced training and professional development programs, including English and German language courses, HPC technology courses and courses on good scientific practices
- you will be part of a dynamical, engaged and experienced team, in an exiting, interdisciplinary and international work environment
- flexible working hours, child care support, solutions for your individual life situation
- excellent research and computing infrastructure of one of the largest research centres in Europe, ideally situated between the cities of Cologne, Dusseldorf and Aachen
- a two years temporary contract with the possibility of contract prolongation
- full-time position with the option of slightly reduced working hours as well as the opportunity for job sharing
- salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Civil Service (TVöD)
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
The job will be advertised until the position has been successfully filled. You should therefore submit your application as soon as possible. We look forward to receiving your application via our Online-Recruitment- System!
Questions about the vacancy?
Contact us by mentioning the reference number 2020-014: [email protected]
Please note that for technical reasons we cannot accept applications via email.