Flexys is hiring for a Software Developer with skills in functional or reactive programming.
Functional programming languages are entering the mainstream and if you've already explored Scala, Clojure, F# or Erlang, you'll find Flexys a supportive environment in which to grow. We can equally provide progression for a practiced Scala Developer ready for a challenge.
We're building highly responsive and scalable applications that manage debt more effectively and provide a collaborative experience for consumers which aims to promote sustainable and positive outcomes.
With our first customer deployments made, we're now expanding our engineering team to build out our digital engagement platform, applying machine learning and other AI techniques through Agile approaches. This is a back end oriented position, working primarily in Scala on systems with an event sourcing architecture.
We strongly value learning and doing things properly. We continuously improving our functional programming techniques. We automate heavily and spend where it makes sense. Importantly, we like all of our technical people to get some exposure to how customers use our software and how their businesses run.
We're always open to new things and you can influence where we go and how we get there. At all times you'll have a lot of freedom in design, technology choice and influence over the platform architecture.
Upcoming projects for the team
- Integrating with Open Banking for payments and affordability checking
- Using AI to make collections processes more efficient
- Designing a streaming API to support delivery of real-time analytics
- Implementing a way of dynamically applying custom data models
- Exploring new open source ecosystems and services
- Exploring different programming languages in research and prototyping
We're looking for
- Someone with solid functional or reactive programming skills, with a positive attitude to learning Scala, transferring from any of Clojure, Haskell, F# etc.
- Familiarity with Scala - from online learning, courses or tutorials, hobby projects, open source contributions, or from production coding
- A clear desire to learn and improve
- Familiarity with the principles of Agile, TDD and continuous delivery
- Enthusiasm, and informed opinions about modern software engineering practice
- Considering functional programming or Scala jobs in Bristol such as: Scala Developer | Scala Software Engineer | Back End Scala Developer | Back End Software Engineer | Clojure Developer | Haskell Developer | F# Developer | Erlang Developer etc.
Current stack - we'll help you get up to speed
Scala | Cats | Akka | Cassandra | Kafka | Docker | Kubernetes | ScalaCheck | Linux | and more
Salary and benefits
- £55,000 to £65,000+ negotiable - we're keeping an open mind
- Discretionary relocation assistance
- Flexible working environment - tell us what you need
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays | medical cover | life cover | contributory pension | open source friendly IP Rights agreement | personal development budget available | conference involvement encouraged | time for open source contributions | on site cafe / restaurant | bicycle racks, on site showers and changing rooms | option to bring your own device | standing desks, supportive chairs, high quality screens, choice of teas, coffee