The Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology – Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB) – Program Area C, Research and Development, is looking to employ a
Research Software Engineer (m/f/d)
to work in the Data Science & Digital Libraries Research Group (Prof. Dr. Sören Auer) at the next possible date.
The position is initially limited to three years with envisioned extension and possibility to make the position permanent. The regular weekly working time is 39.8 hours (full-time). The remuneration is based on pay scale group 13 TV-L.
Your primary and secondary work areas
- Open Research Knowledge Graph (ORKG) – Primarily, you will be a member of the ORKG team and drive the development of the ORKG back end, which is written in Kotlin, within the Spring Boot 2 framework, builds on Neo4J and other database systems and exposes content and functionality through a RESTful API.
- Secondarily, you may support software development and projects in numerous areas, including Research Data Management, Collaborative OpenCourseWare creation (Slidewiki.org) and Industry 4.0.
Your competence area should be squarely rooted in software engineering or related fields. You should be able to think creatively, grasp new knowledge quickly, be able to design and develop innovative software systems and be interested in mastering complex challenges. You will be responsible to develop innovative and mature information services for the TIB stakeholders in Science and Technology.
- Successfully completed university degree (Master or comparable) in a relevant field such as Computer Science or Mathematics, a PhD is a plus.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English, proficiency in German is a plus.
- Proven team software development skills
- Familiarity with Semantic Technologies, Knowledge Graphs, Data Management, Human-Computer Interaction, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Artificial Intelligence, Data Analytics or Digital Libraries is an asset
What we offer
In TIB’s Research and Development Department, you have the opportunity to further your scientific development in a dynamic and excellent research environment. We provide a scientifically and intellectually inspiring environment with an entrepreneurial mindset embedded in a leading technical university and one of the largest technical information centres being part of the Leibniz Association.
The Research department at the TIB is relatively young and offers many opportunities. Currently, there are five research groups in the department: Data Science and Digital Libraries, Scientific Data Management, Knowledge Infrastructures, Learning and Skills Analytics and Visual Analytics.
Common to all research groups is the vision to rethink the representation and provision of data and information and to organize them in an Open Research Knowledge Graph (ORKG) in the future. There is a close cooperation with the Research Center L3S of Leibniz University Hanover within the framework of the Leibniz Joint Lab Data Science & Open Knowledge - the L3S is one of the world's leading research institutes in the fields of Web & Data Science. Last but not least, we attach great importance to an open and creative working atmosphere in which it is fun to work.
Furthermore, we offer
- Funding for necessary equipment, conference and research visit travel
- Candidates will work in the context of a national, European or international research and innovation project
- A portfolio of technology components to build on, including ORKG, OpenResearch.org, TIB AV-Portal, DBpedia.org and other
- A modern workplace in a central location of Hanover with a collegial, attractive and versatile working environment
- Flexible working hours (flexitime) as well as offers for reconciling work and family life, such as mobile work
- An employer with a wide range of internal and external further education and training measures, workplace health promotion and a supplementary pension scheme for the public sector (VBL)
- Discount for employees in the canteens of the Studentenwerk Hannover as well as the possibility to use the various offers of the University Sports Hannover
- A salary in pay scale group 13 according to the provisions of the collective agreement for the public service in Germany (TV-L)
How to apply
In addition to your CV, please include a letter of motivation (including technology interests) with your application. To submit your application, please click here.
Paper applications are also possible on an equal basis. In this case, please send your complete application documents with the subject 55/2019 before December 17, 2019 addressed to
Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB)
Herrn Daniel Eilers
Welfengarten 1 B
or alternatively as a single PDF document file to [email protected].
For applications in digital from, please send a PDF file with a maximum size of 10 MB.
TIB is an equal opportunity employer, providing ideal working conditions and continuously taking action to enable its employees to combine career interests with family life. It wants to promote equal career opportunities for women and men in particular and therefore urges qualified women to apply.
Severely disabled candidates with comparable qualifications will be given preferential treatment.
Please note that your application documents will not be returned and application and travel costs cannot be reimbursed.
For more information about the TIB, please visit www.tib.eu/en/.
We look forward to receiving your application!