We are a brand new EdTech venture looking to make waves in the English language teaching and assessment world. We want to democratise language training and assessment, putting valuable content within reach of anyone with a mobile device and a hunger to prove or improve their skills.
Our technological stack is pretty open right now. We have an Android app authored in Java, and a backend written in Python running on Google’s Cloud Platform. Like every other tech startup on the planet, we think that machine learning is going to play a fundamental part in our future.
So, how do you know if you’re right for this job? Well, we’re not looking for pure domain specialists. We’re looking for generalists - people who have dabbled in a lot of languages and technologies, in disparate industries, and who love to solve problems. At the end of the day, that’s what it’s all about: solving problems. Not which languages or platforms we choose.
An interest in how people learn languages, and teaching in general, would be advantageous because that’s our domain.
Who are we?
We are an EdTech venture that’s still in stealth mode. We’re part of the Blenheim Chalcot family. We want to democratise language training and assessment, putting valuable content within reach of anyone with a mobile device and a hunger to prove or improve their skills.
We have veterans of the tech and business worlds, and we’re looking to expand our team.
Who are you?
You are a Python developer. You’ve experienced building and releasing an app to production using a SQL datastore and a mainstream framework. You know about API design and how to collaborate with app developers who consume your work, and how to find the right balance between frontend and backend weight.
What are we building?
We have a conventional architecture of Database - Python API - Android application. It’s enabled us to launch small pilot tests and experiments with users. We’re now ready to grow the features and performance of the API, and that’s where you come in.
What skills and experience should you have?
- Developed and operated APIs in Python
- Designed data schemas (either with ORM or SQL) and integrations with third party systems
- Implemented testing methodologies
Is there other experience that might be useful?
- Working with developers building client applications interacting with your code via APIs.
- Operating in a serverless environment (eg Google Cloud Platform, AWS or Azure)
- Designing and implementing API authentication (eg using JWT)
- Using data to iterate and improve an app or product
- Knowledge of teaching or learning other spoken languages
- Knowing when to build perfectly, and when “good-enough” is good enough for now.
- Embracing and accepting the changes that inevitably happen in a start-up environment
- Never stop looking for a better way of doing things; be curious
- Building businesses is fast-paced and fluid; be nimble
- Sharing knowledge and networks builds better businesses; be generous
- Understand getting the best out of people is better for everyone; be supportive
- The best ideas aren’t always your own; seek diversity
- Decisions should be driven by analytics and customer insight; embrace data.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU:
- The opportunity to build a global mobile application with ambitions to acquire millions of users, from scratch.
- Chance to be a part of, impact and learn from the UK’s leading digital venture builder
- The right mix of challenges, learning and development opportunities
- Dynamic start-up environment
- Fair salary and discretionary bonus
- 25 days of paid holidays
- Life Assurance – 4 x annual salary. Pension Scheme, Cycle to Work Scheme, Childcare Vouchers
- Flexible Benefits: Private Medical, Gym Subsidiaries
- Free fruit every day
We will invite candidates into our own Hammersmith incubator; a 30,000sft venture hub office based in Hammersmith, home to a mix of BC digital start-ups. This will be an opportunity to meet with our Head of Engineering, before meeting other members of the team and our CEO at final stage.
We recognise that interviewing can be time consuming. We will not set any homework or artificial technical tests. We can accomodate the need to interview outside office hours. We believe in multiple people interviewing sequentially, against a consistent scorecard, so that we can quantitatively and consistently evaluate candidates.
Individuals seeking employment at Blenheim Chalcot are considered without regards to race, colour, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation. Our offices are accessible to most peple and we will happily give more information or adapt to help meet your needs.