Join us as a Principal Engineer
* Joining our Everyday Banking department, this is a rewarding opportunity to make a difference to our customers the bank
* You'll be working with feature teams to rapidly produce high quality software that adds value to the business and provides customers with new features and products
* This a fantastic opportunity to work with new technologies and hone your technical expertise in a collaborative, agile and forward thinking team environment
What you'll do
As a Principal Engineer, you'll be working with the domain lead, and product and release managers in determining the design and delivery approach for all of the platform’s software throughout its life. You'll be playing a major role in the Engineering centre of excellence, collaborating with principal engineers from all platforms and domains to improve the bank’s overall software engineering capability.
You'll also be:
* Working across the lifecycle, from requirements analysis to design, through coding to testing, deployment and operations
* Developing a high level of knowledge of the platform across the disciplines of business, applications, data and infrastructure
* Liaising with the domain architect and other key stakeholders to understand how the domain works, how it supports business objectives and the role of the platform within this
* Continually improving performance through evaluating and analysing metrics
* Deploying code continually and rapidly, working through backlog
* Producing software that meets current non-functional requirements and is flexible to cope with future functional and non-functional needs
The skills you'll need
You'll need significant and demonstrable experience in software engineering, software or database design, as well as significant experience developing software within a DevOps or Agile framework where products have to be delivered to short delivery cycles, frequent deployment and continuous development. You'll also need experience of leading software development teams in a matrix structure, introducing and executing technical strategies, and you'll have collaborated across various business and technical areas.
You'll also need:
* Significant and demonstrable experience of implementing programming best practice, particularly scalability, automation, virtualisation, optimisation, availability and performance
* Significant and demonstrable experience of test-driven development alongside the use of automated test frameworks, mocking, stubbing and unit testing tools
* An ability to rapidly and effectively understand and translate product and business requirements into technical solutions
* Experience of working with code repositories, bug tracking tools and wikis
* Experience designing or implementing APIs
* In-depth knowledge of large scale database and no-SQL design and optimisation
* Experience of supplier management, particularly in procuring agencies or outsource providers
* Experience of priority base requirements
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary and you'll also join our retirement savings plan. You can also choose from a selection of protection, healthcare or lifestyle extras from RBSelect, our fully flexible reward programme.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.