The engineering team at Root strives to be one of the most transformative engineering teams ever. We’re changing the way that car insurance works. We’re competing with companies that have been around for a century and comprise a $200B industry—and we’re doing it with an astonishingly small team.
Our tech stack includes:
Ruby / Rails backend, RSpec for testing
Small amounts of native iOS and Android
Deployment to AWS ECS using containers
Buildkite for CI
We recently raised one of the largest VC rounds ever for an Ohio technology company: https://venturebeat.com/2018/03/27/root-insurances-51-million-funding-round-is-one-of-the-largest-raised-by-an-ohio-tech-startup/
Our team excels at delivering software to build Root’s products: presently, mobile apps and a backend platform for personal auto insurance. We’ve shaped our team and our way of working around this. Our engineering team would not be the most transformative team at building a mobile operating system. We’d be quite bad at that. We’re exceptionally good at building the type of software that is necessary to invoke change in the insurance industry.
For more information on engineering at Root see https://eng.joinroot.com/
As a Pricing Automation Engineer, you will:
* Work with engineers and actuaries to ensure that our pricing pipeline does what it is supposed to do through testing, both automated and manual
* Write production code to evaluate and reinforce engineering and actuarial practices
* Prevent regression and unintentional changes to actuarial concepts within the codebase
* Work with data science, engineering, and business teams to ensure model outputs match across research and production.
* Identify inefficiencies and inspire change within our pricing flow
We divide the areas of responsibility for engineers into three major areas:
Technical: The skills and knowledge that make up an engineer’s basic problem-solving toolbox.
Planning and Execution: The ability to plan and execute assigned work beyond basic technical solutions.
Working with Others: The ability to work effectively with other engineers and people in other functions.
What we look for in Pricing Automation Engineers:
- Good command of basic programming skills
- Comfortable with 1 or 2 programming languages
- Familiar with common programming paradigms (OOP, functional, etc.)
- Basic understanding of client-server architecture and web technologies.
- Basic understanding of version control tools
- Good understanding of testing and automation principles
Planning and Execution
- Completes small, pre-planned tasks in a timely manner
- Writes clean, functional, well-tested code
- Follows existing patterns and aims for consistency with the rest of the code-base
- Thinks critically about assigned work in order to guarantee technical functionality
Working with Others
- Works with tech lead and teammates to answer questions about their assigned work
- Understands and implements feedback from peers into own work
- Provides basic feedback on other teammates’ work