Who we are
We are Lobster Ink - a solutions company that helps some of the world’s most influential businesses navigate transformative change. Because people ultimately drive change, we develop training solutions that build their capability.
Our global team of 220+ Lobsters design award-winning digital products and produce industry-recognized training content that provides 1 million+ people across 200 countries with the practical skills and knowledge needed to be great at what they do. We are brave, caring, tenacious, inventive and purposeful.
We work with the biggest names in hospitality - our client list includes the likes of Marriott International, Hilton Worldwide, Waitrose and Partners and Dubai Tourism. We’re also proud to be part of Ecolab, the global leader in water, hygiene and energy technologies and services. As our client list grows, so does our need for exceptional individuals to join our teams in Amsterdam, Cape Town, Washington and the world. This is where you come in.
Purpose of role
We are looking for an enthusiastic Junior Software Developer to join our experienced software design team. You will report directly to the Development Manager and assist with all functions of software coding and design. Your primary focus will be to learn the codebase, gather user data, and respond to requests from senior developers.
To ensure success as a Junior Software Developer, you should have a good working knowledge of basic programming languages, the ability to learn new technology quickly, and the ability to work in a team environment. Ultimately, a top-class Junior Software Developer provides valuable support to the design team while continually improving their coding and design skills.
- Assisting the Development Manager with all aspects of software design and coding.
- Attending and contributing to company development meetings.
- Learning the codebase and improving your coding skills.
- Writing and maintaining code.
- Working on minor bug fixes.
- Monitoring the technical performance of business applications.
- Responding to requests from the development team.
- Gathering information from consumers about program functionality.
- Writing reports.
- Conducting development tests.
Skills / Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science.
- Knowledge of basic coding languages preferably C#, TypeScript.
- Basic web application programming experience (.Net core is a plus).
- Knowledge of databases and operating systems.
- Knowledge of microservices architecture is a plus.
- Experience with Docker and Containers is a plus.
- Understanding of Agile and DevOps principles.
- Understanding of TDD/BDD techniques.
- Ability to learn new software and technologies quickly.
- Ability to follow instructions and work in a team environment.
Why is this an amazing opportunity for you?
This is a unique opportunity for a top notch Developer to join a rapidly growing value-driven organization to develop amazing products to disrupt the world of Learning & Development. Our mission is to enable strategic change through people by driving the relationship between awareness, capability building, and operational performance. Lobster Ink is uniquely positioned to enable medium- to large enterprises to rollout global change programs through our advanced platforms. We are the premier EdTech supplier in the hospitality industry globally and we have the largest hotel groups as our clients. We are proud to have won the EdTech X Global Growth Award 2018.
Some examples of our software products include:
- Axon LMS - a state of the art learning platform
- Lobster Ops - a performance assessment & management system
- Lobster Campus - interactive learning product and social learning
You will be part of our rapidly growing software development team with a focus on developing and supporting both standard and custom integrations between our core platforms and client platforms as well as between our core platforms and our mobile applications. At Lobster, we value independence and ownership. We offer a large degree of freedom to work in the OKR framework and build your own vision into our products. We feel that Agile principles like safety and ownership are very important and offer internal learning & development to grow in other domains. There are many more reasons why this is a great opportunity for you:
- Salary based on skill and experience
- International diverse department of 20+ nationalities
- Modern agile methods
- Cutting edge technologies in the data domain
- Opportunity to build disruptive products
- Idea-driven culture with frequent transparent retrospectives
- Caring team with shared values and ethics
- Car, bike and public transport friendly reachable office in the cool city of Amsterdam
To be an A player at Lobster Ink you need to embody the following attributes:
- Brave: At Lobster being brave means that you have the internal drive to progress the boundaries of your own capability, the courage to explore uncharted territory, and by expanding your perspective and stretching your capacity.
- Caring: To care means to listen, communicate, understand, dovetail, call out accountability and act in respect.
- Tenacious: At Lobster, we are relentless in the pursuit of our goals. We learn from setbacks, remain focused and never resign to mediocrity.
- Inventive: At Lobster, we believe that inventive willpower is a renewable resource that breeds when it's shared. Our solutions push past complexity and strive for simplicity.
- Purposeful: At Lobster, we act with intent. We are goal-oriented and experiment in a measured way to learn through experience. We are committed to continuous, iterative improvement for our customers and ourselves.
Together we remain humble but never the same. Distinctly Lobster.