C/C++ Software Engineer (video)
London, England, United KingdomFull time
Grabyo is the video platform built for live, social and mobile. The cloud-based platform removes the traditional complexities of professional video production and distribution.
Grabyo works with the world’s largest broadcasters and rights holders including Sky Sports, ITV, BT Sport, Major League Soccer, Real Madrid, FC Barcelona, beIN Sports, Fox Sports, Univision, LaLiga, The English Premier League, AELTC Wimbledon and many more. Our platform integrates with the major social platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Periscope, Twitter, and YouTube. Grabyo is also a preferred global partner for Facebook Live.
Amazon Web Services is the main hosting provider for Grabyo. Every product of the platform is architected and built for scalability and high availability for a global client base. Being a cloud-based platform allows engineers to remain agile and gives them the freedom to try new things without compromising on reliability and speed of development.
For more information on Grabyo please visit the company page.
We are dedicated to making sure you are happy and committed during your time with Grabyo. We achieve this by pushing the platform and the team to use the latest technologies and to give you a whole new set of responsibilities. You will be responsible for your products end to end, from design and architecture to releasing and supporting in production. This way we guarantee that you will be engaged, challenged and more importantly: that you can make the difference.
Being social is a huge part of the Grabyo family. We like to have fun together and we provide a series of activities to help in this area. If you are interested in these activities and some of the benefits we enjoy at Grabyo, please visit this website.
If technology gets you going in the morning, then you are in the right place!
As a C/C++ Software Engineer, you will help design, build and support the Grabyo Media Engine that powers all the live and on demand encoding that goes through our platform. This includes applying all sort of cool video effects like watermarks, animated video graphics, picture in picture or transitions.
Not only will the role involve in-depth development, but also research and experimentations, where your passion for video codecs, streaming protocols and new technologies will drive your motivation to take our video platform to the next level.
FFmpeg, OpenCV, AWS, Packer, Media Source Extensions, web-sockets, GPU, encoding, fmp4, HLS, RTMP. These are some of the state-of-the-art technologies that you will be working with.
To ensure you keep growing and expanding your knowledge in the technology industry, we provide you with professional development opportunities such as Hackathons and weekly “tech” hours. We provide a personal development budget for conferences or training. We also encourage pair programming and dedicate sprints to improve our automated testing culture.
Some of your responsibilities at Grabyo include (but are not limited to):
- Iterating, optimizing and monitoring the Grabyo Media Engine that sits at the core of our platform
- R&D projects to ensure our platform keeps innovating on media and streaming to guarantee we keep our industry leaders position
- Collaborating closely with engineers and architects to guarantee that the video platform will support the technical needs of our visionary roadmap
- Taking ownership of your work/project by building, maintaining and iterating new features and new products
- Keep up to date with the latest industry standards and technologies to help the platform to take on the latest video streaming challenges like 4K or 360 video support.
How do I get this job?
- Demonstrable expertise and experience in C/C++ programming language
- Experience with video and audio encoding (H.264/AVC, H.265/HEVC, VP9...) or streaming (HLS, MPEG-DASH...) technologies
- Experience in development and support of production systems used in a 24x7 operations environment
- In-depth knowledge of open source tools like FFmpeg, VLC, OpenCV
- Understanding of operating system / Linux fundamentals
- Experience in working with networking protocols (such as TCP, TLS, HTTP/2)
- Experience diagnosing and troubleshooting complex systems using test tools, network management systems and error reporting systems
The big plus
- Knowledge on AWS (our chosen cloud provider)
- Experience in analysing and improving efficiency, scalability, stability, reliability, and performance of CDN infrastructure
- Having contributed to open source projects related to media playback or streaming
The recruitment process:
We aim to have a quick and dynamic hiring process. This process lasts around two weeks and it has the following stages:
- Phone call interview (around 30 minutes) to understand your interests and career expectations to ensure we are a good fit for each other.
- A technical challenge to be completed at home and to be discussed during the face to face interview (around 2 hours)
- Final face to face interview (around 3 hours) with our lead developers to go through your test and your technical knowledge.
- Personal development budget and training material
- Bi-annual hackathons, security days and tech hour on Wednesday
- Quarterly performance reviews
- Flexible working hours
- Work from home options
- Ride to work scheme
- Free breakfast, Friday happy hour and monthly company lunch
- 25 days holiday and additional unpaid holiday week
- Awaydays and Christmas party
- Sponsored monthly social events
- Grabyo book library
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.