Software Engineer - Core
Content, Supply & Distribution Technology:
Who are we
ITV is the biggest commercial television network in the UK. Behind every famous face, there are hundreds of others, all doing their bit to make things happen. We are More Than TV. We’re passionate about content and most importantly we understand our audiences. As a growing international company, we’re commercially minded and have a global focus. ITV is launching BritBox, an SVOD service later this year. We’re all about pushing the boundaries and being innovative.
Based at ITV’s iconic Television House in Leeds, we provide shared services and products that underpin the whole of ITV. We integrate with the old, and develop the new. Our Leeds Technology Hub work across a range of products covering Broadcast, Content and Rights systems. Projects include the recently announced BritBox SVOD service, Schedule & Catalogue Modernisation plus some exciting roadmaps across the teams to keep us busy!
Our cross functional teams self organise following agile principles, working in a cloud first environment.
What we offer
An open, friendly and welcoming culture awaits you in one of the UK’s best known household names. A supportive environment where there is opportunity to grow as an individual both technically and in responsibility both in your initial team and beyond should you wish.
To encourage learning we allocate one day per month as a Hack Day, we also organise regular Tech conferences (see ITV Tech Forum for some of our past ones).
We look after our employees. Work life balance is respected and flexible working is supported at a discretionary level. There are regular social events organised within the team, AWS Game Days and departmental Away Days.
What we are looking for
We have an opportunity for a Core Software Engineer to join our Leeds Tech Hub. The successful candidate will display a genuine passion for technology, willingness to learn, and thrive as a member of a high-performing team.
Key responsibilities of the role:
- Delivering quality, well tested and maintainable code that meets the requirements of the users in an incremental process
- Identifying 3rd party libraries, and understanding the trade-offs between using them versus in-house development
- Coming up with innovative and appropriate solutions to problems
- Communicating effectively with stakeholders, business analysts, users, testers, and platform engineers to agree solutions
- Supporting and maintaining existing developed applications in production
- Integrating with other ITV systems, both legacy and more modern
- Understanding the build pipeline and how the applications are deployed
- Sharing good practices and interesting content with other members of the wider team, e.g. via regular show & tell sessions
- The ability to adapt to change as the team and ITV’s business grows and changes
Technology we use
- We work closely with platform engineers to build a CI/CD pipeline using maven, GitHub, Jenkins, terraform, and puppet, deploying to AWS. Work has begun to use Kubernetes as a platform for our deployed services.
- We are constantly evaluating our technology choices, and are flexible for new projects. For example, we are currently evaluating Kotlin and Micronaut.
- We use Google products for email and document sharing, Apple hardware for development, and Slack for internal communication.
Closing Date: Tuesday 11th June 2019
This is a fantastic opportunity to join one of ITV’s leading technology teams and grow your career with the UK’s biggest commercial broadcaster. Why not be part of the future of television as opposed to watching it?
ITV strongly encourages applications for this role from candidates with a disability and as a Disability Confident employer we are committed to offer an interview to disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria for the role.
"ITV, where creativity, diversity and collaboration put us right at the heart of popular culture."
For more information check out….. www.itvjobs.com/why-join-us/diversity-and-inclusion/