A leader in Motor, Home, Travel and Health Insurance; Saga offers an environment where we will do the best thing for you to develop your skills and develop your career.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for Java Developers to join our Saga Services IT department.
You will be responsible for the resolution of faults, system development, enhancements and optimisation of the insurance platforms with the potential to cover all aspects of development and delivery. The role is expected to be able to cover both project delivery and support work but with a strong focus on production support.
You will bring good analytical and technical skills.
And in return, you can look forward to all of the responsibility and involvement of an integral role, providing you with a rewarding and fast paced career with an excellent benefits package including life assurance, pension, high street and online discounts, and concessions for holidays and travel.
If this sounds like a role for you then keep reading...
- Delivery of application changes and defects in line with best practices and within project deadlines
- Participate fully in the teams agile development process, contributing to daily scrum meetings, sprint planning sessions, and retrospectives
- Ensuring the appropriate user story specification and acceptance processes are followed
- Work directly with QA testers to ensure high quality of delivery
- Contribute to a culture of continuous improvement consistent with the cultural context of the organisation
- Seek opportunities to contribute original ideas to the benefit of the team and organisation
- Perform any other duties consistent with the skill-set of the individual as required by the organisation from time to time
The Ideal Candidate
Capability, Knowledge and Experience:
- Demonstrable technical & problem-solving background
- Good analytical and technical skills
- Experience of Java development
- Experience of a scrum-based agile development methodology
- Experience of Git-based source control concepts such as push, pull, branch, merge, rebase
- Experience of Gosu and Guidewire applications would be an advantage
Education and qualifications:
- Good educational background
- Educated to degree level in a technical subject would be an advantage
- Excellent communication required to manage the technical performance in the team and ensure dependencies with other teams are effectively managed
- Enthusiasm for personal development and learning the desire to extend personal skill sets through continuous self-assessment
- Ability to interpret user story acceptance criteria and deliver solutions that fulfil or exceed expectations
- Ability to work within an agile development environment and process
- Ability to recognise and work in line with Saga business objectives, ethos and methods
- Ability to communicate effectively with immediate colleagues and the wider business
- Self-motivated, flexible and organised, with an ability to work under pressure and to challenging deadlines
- Excellent time management skills ability to effectively prioritise workloads and to meet business expectations
- Able to cope under pressure
- Professional manner & positive attitude
- An eye for detail
- Conscientious with high quality standards
- Analytical mind
- Confident and approachable
- Flexible approach to work