We are looking for an IT Systems Engineer to join our rapidly growing EMBL Barcelona site. Based in Barcelona, you will ensure a smooth operation of the local IT environment and provide support to our EMBL Barcelona users closely collaborating with the IT Services department based at EMBL headquarters in Heidelberg.
The new site EMBL Barcelona has been established in the Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (PRBB), one of the largest infrastructures in Southern Europe dedicated to translational research and which is located on the Mediterranean coast of north-eastern Spain.
Your role will include the following responsibilities:
- Manage the local desktop computing and provide excellent support to our users on macOS, Windows and Linux computers and mobile devices and help troubleshoot software, hardware, network and security related issues; support the network integration of scientific instruments
- Support users with their access to local and EMBL-wide IT services
- Contribute to managing and developing the growing local IT infrastructure, aligned with EMBL IT strategies and including networking, data storage, backup, archiving, high-performance compute, virtualization and other services
- Support phone services and the technical setups to enable videoconferences and seminars
- Coordinate the communication with vendors and IT related purchases
- Support continuous improvement of IT services based on user requirements
You should have a several years of work experience as an IT professional and preferably a degree in computer sciences or similar.
Your experience includes:
- Hands-on experience supporting users on macOS, Windows and Linux systems
- Familiarity with server-side Linux administration, systems deployment and configuration management
- Previous exposure to managing VMware, high-performance storage and computing systems, LDAP, Single Sign-On, Windows server administration, web server and database management is desirable
- Prior experience operating heterogeneous environments and integrating standard IT technologies
- Broad technology overview to deliver competitive IT services and willingness to learn new skills
- Well-organised, self-motivated and capable of working both independently and as part of a team
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Perfect command of the English language is essential
You might also have
Spanish language skills would be a strong asset.
Why join us
We offer to you:
- The opportunity to work with latest technology
- The exposure to a fast-growing big data environment, operating over 200 petabytes of science data and high-end computing across several centres including the administrative IT to support the laboratory
- Certified training and continued development of your professional and personal skills
- Technological exchange with IT teams at other EMBL sites
- A competitive salary exempt from national taxes
- A comprehensive pension scheme; medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial sponsorship for relocation and installation for you and your family
- A flexible and friendly, international working environment fostering creativity
- An inclusive, equal opportunity employer with family friendly working environment, child care close to campus and strongly committed to achieving gender balance
- To be part of one of the world’s highest ranked scientific research organizations and to commit to this joint effort to better understand the principles of life
If you feel you have the right skills and experience, please go ahead and apply online at www.embl.org/jobs!
Discover more on working with EMBL IT Services at embl.de/itservices.