Job Description:The EMBO Information Support & Resources (ISR) team supports all EMBO activities by developing, implementing and maintaining data management, exchange and storage systems. This includes the installation and maintenance of off-the-shelf hardware and software solutions; the customisation of commercial or open source platforms to meet the needs of EMBO; and the development of custom-tailored applications for EMBO. The team operates a cluster of file, database and application servers that complement the IT infrastructure offered by our sister institute, EMBL, and offers training, support and troubleshooting services for everyday office information technology at EMBO.
EMBO is looking for an IT Support Administrator to work within the Information Support & Resources team, providing hardware and software support for our staff of 50 in-house Apple Mac users, and carrying out system administration and development tasks for our small cluster of servers and database applications.
This position is ideally suited for someone early in their IT career, as it offers many opportunities for learning and taking on new responsibilities as your knowledge develops. You will report to the Head of Information Support & Resources and receive guidance and training from the senior members of the team.
- Desktop support for EMBO staff, assisting with the configuration and installation of office software, email and network access configuration; and troubleshooting hardware and software issues;
- Onboarding of new staff, setting up new accounts and ensuring that appropriate access to hardware and software is provided in a timely manner;
- Liaising with the IT Services team of our partner organisation, EMBL, to ensure the accessibility of shared resources;
- Working with all EMBO departments to optimise workflow processes based on existing Office 365 or FileMaker Pro infrastructure, or recommending alternative solutions;
- Improvement of services through the administration and development of our custom-designed database infrastructure;
- Conducting analyses of staff software and hardware needs and making recommendations for purchases and service strategies;
- Administering the purchase and repair of IT hardware either on campus or from external providers;
- Performing basic system administration and maintenance tasks on our Mac, Windows and Linux servers;
- Performing additional tasks as required by the EMBO Director.
This position will occasionally require working outside of the normal working hours, in the evenings or during the weekend.
- either an academic degree or apprenticeship in an IT-related field or a verifiable certification in IT service provision; or demonstrable work experience in providing a high standard of face-to-face IT support;
- service orientation and experience in providing personal, friendly and efficient support to users, explaining technical information in simple, understandable language;
- strong analytic and technical skills to solve problems either by yourself or as part of a team;
- attention to detail and a high quality of work output;
- good organisation, documentation and time-management skills;
- experience with Apple Mac computers;
- a good level of spoken and written English; the knowledge of German is not required
You might also have experience or knowledge in
- Linux system administration;
- MS Office 365 administration;
- FileMaker Pro development and administration;
- webserver configuration;
- core IT infrastructure (DHCP, DNS, networking);
- relational databases and maintaining SQL-based database servers;
- working in a scientific or international environment;
Why join us
The EMBO offices are located on the international EMBL life science research campus in Heidelberg, Germany. Heidelberg, home to around 150,000 people, is a vibrant university city offering a high quality of life. EMBO is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international science organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, pension scheme and health insurance, and educational and other family-related benefits. As a non-profit organisation, we have a very informal and collegial working environment that is inspired by our dedication to working for a common greater good.
What else you need to know
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
Staff Category: Staff Member
Contarct Duration: 3 years
Grading: 4 or 5, depending on experience and qualifications
Closing Date: 2 September 2019
Reference Number: EMBO00084