Background Information – Job Specific
The Unite Service Desk (USD) – Asia provides around-the-clock (24/7/365) support for different key UN applications such as Inspira (PeopleSoft/Oracle-based), Umoja (SAP-based), iNeed (Siebel CRM) and Unite Mail (Office 365) to UN employees and external users worldwide. Organized as a virtual service desk with 4 Hubs located in Bangkok, Nairobi, Geneva and New York, the Unite Service Desk is handling online service requests, phone calls, emails and walk-in clients. As a member of the Unite Service Desk – Asia team, the incumbent will work at UN ESCAP premises based in Bangkok for 5 days per week, which may include weekends and public holidays, as per the assigned shift (morning or afternoon or night) that rotates on a monthly basis.
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects carried out for or in the United Nations Secretariat. The incumbent of this position will be personnel of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
This position is located in the Bangkok hub of the Unite Service Desk.
- Under the general supervision of the Hub Manager, the incumbent reports to the Hub Supervisor and Shift Lead. The incumbent will be responsible for undertaking the following duties:
- Work in a shift as per the roster. The service operates on a 24/7/365 basis. Shift duty is mandatory including nights, weekends and public holidays.
- Provide Tier 1 support to users for all the systems supported by the Unite Service Desk (USD), including Inspira, Umoja and iNeed; follow up with Tier 2 and Tier 3 agents on incident resolution or request fulfilment as per established procedures.
- Act as focal point for receipt, analysis and processing of user requests; maintain regular contact with users and technical staff in user offices as well as with other USD hubs (in Geneva, Nairobi, and New York).
- Participate in the analysis of user requests; escalate service request to the relevant teams for handling; provide appropriate responses/guidance.
- Provide feedback/inputs on operation planning, USD documentations, and quality assurance processes.
- Assist in the preparation of Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and email templates.
- Assist in testing and evaluating new products and technologies.
- Keep abreast of latest Service Desk procedures and technology; conduct research on new technologies as requested.
- Performs other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Failure to resolve requests may result in delay in administrative process, missing deadlines, financial loss and additional works for recovery, involving staff at all levels, the Organization, and external users of the UN applications.
- Inefficient or poorly managed work assignment will result in incorrect and/or untimely resolution.
- Poor quality customer support service will hamper productivity of the application for users and may have financial impacts to the Organization.
Education/Experience and Language Requirement
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- A Bachelor's or Master’s degree in computer science, information systems, mathematics, statistics or related field is desirable.
- Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible experience in information systems or application support, systems analysis, systems administration and maintenance, functional or technical customer support is required for a holder of a High School diploma. A BA or a MA degree may substitute for some of the required years of experience respectively.
- Minimum 2 years of work experience in 24/7 operations is required.
- Experience in providing functional support to Enterprise Resources Planning systems, such as SAP, PeopleSoft/Oracle, Siebel CRM, is required.
- Knowledge and understanding of UN administrative procedures and practice in human resources, finance and budget, procurement, travel is highly desirable.
- Fluency in written and oral English is required.
- Knowledge of another United Nations official language is an advantage.
- Additional training in the field of Service Management, certifications in ITIL and/or in SAP support is highly desirable.
Contract type/level and duration
- Contract type: Local ICA
- Contract level: LICA-5
- Contract duration:Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended (Expected Contract duration 1 Year) subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.