Job Description:Background Information - Job-specific
*** THIS IS A LOCAL POSITION FOR WHICH ONLY APPLICANTS WHO POSSESS THE ITALIAN NATIONALITY OR A VALID RESIDENCE AND WORK PERMIT IN ITALY ARE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION ***
The United Nations Department of Operational Support, Office of Information and Communications Technology (UN DOS-OICT) is responsible for the delivery of applications and technologies that satisfy the requirements of the Departments of Peacekeeping Operations and Operational Support (DPO/DOS) missions as well as Special Political Missions (SPMs).
The Technology Infrastructure Support Unit (TIS) is responsible for the delivery and maintenance of two TIER 3 Certified Data Centre Critical Facilities, maintaining the electromechanical platform where the entire telecommunication services are supported for the UN secretariat, agencies, funds and programs.
The section maintains the following services 24/7/365: Emergency power generation; High Availability UPS Systems of 3 MW; Remote monitoring and automation of systems; Cooling and ventilation; Fire suppression systems; Solar generation of 324 kW; Other green practices as direct free cooling to ensure an eco-friendly and viable critical facility; Mission Support Products as Modular systems (MCC) in several versions for multiple applications; Hybrid Solar – Diesel generation and other standalone power self-sustainable systems.
The ICT Assistant working in UNGSC will liaise among project managers, design teams, operations teams, and our partners / suppliers communicating between all key stakeholders to ensure the smooth and successful implementation of new services and maintenance of existing ones.
Under the overall supervision of the UNOPS Senior Programme Manager, the incumbent works under the direct guidance of the Deputy Chief, Technology Infrastructure Support Unit (IOS) at the UNGSC Facility in Brindisi, Italy.
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects carried out for or in the United Nations Secretariat. The incumbent of this position will be a staff member of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
The ICT Assistant is responsible for following duties:
1. Execution of the Preventive Maintenance and Corrective Maintenance scheduled plan in support of GSC CITS Critical Data Centre Facility activities
- These activities are associated to the UNGSC Satellite Hub and Data Centre Environmental (Power & Cooling) requirements applicable for Data Centre infrastructure service continuity in Brindisi. Such activities and requirements are executed according to the scope of the ISO 27001, ISO 14001 and TIER III certifications held by UNGSC
- Power distribution, Power Backup and UPS Systems (Generator, PLC, UPS)
- Fire Suppression Systems.
2. Provision of 7/24/365 ICT Infrastructure support
- Perform “on call” duty technical service to react on any incident affecting Data Centre infrastructures.
- Liaise with External Service Providers or contractors to support other technologies integrated within the Data Centre infrastructures (Main electric lines, Fire Suppression Systems, UPS’s and Generators)
- Monitor, analyze and optimize cooling systems and power usage to upgrade performance and increase efficiency, reducing power consumption when possible.
3. Support the deployment of GSC ICT Integrated Systems (M-Products) in the field, and give technical assistance & guidance required by the missions
- Prepare documentation for end users and provide technical support to staff or on safety standards and equipment, with specific assistance, for a better deployment in the missions.
- Provide assistance via telephone or email to solve any problems on the systems deployed.
- Refurbishment of MDTS returning from missions, general maintenance of vehicles, to restore original conditions of equipment and vehicle.
4. Implement and deploy an advanced Digital Two Way Radio Trunking System (TETRA)
- Radio installation in vehicles for UNGSC, SDS, UN Reserve and Field Mission support.
- Installation, configuration and test TETRA radio systems using available infrastructure.
- Execute special installations in SDS armored vehicles, trucks and ambulances.
- Coordinates with an external contractor the logistics for large number of 4 x 4 vehicle installations.
- Coordination during installation with the external contractor to ensure quick supply of materials and accessories or parts.
- Follow up of pending orders, requisitions, and technical reports.
- Organize and maintain the stock of spare parts to ensure top efficiency of all infrastructure and existing installations.
- Maintenance of RF Radio TETRA System and programming of radios using integrated Terminal Management (iTM) and GPS Systems for Field Mission rapid deployment.
- Erase of settings before return servers and other IT Equipment to stock or write-off.
- Assembly & test of MOTOBRIDGE systems inclusive of those required by Receive and Inspection (R&I) Unit, during the inspection of received Motorola Trunking Tetra/Dimetra radios.
5. GSC Cabling Network
- Provide the maintenance of the GSC Fiber Optic backbone in Brindisi.
- End user termination of network cables (UTP & FO cables) at Data Center and other locations.
- UTP and fiber optics patch panel termination in Patch Panels at DC and other locations.
- Test and certification of all structured network cables (UTP & FO cables) with network equipment properly calibrated.
6. Implement and deploy an advanced Access Control System (ACS)
- Installs, configures and tests RFID readers using available infrastructure.
- Support Security team in profiling and configuring UNGSC-B users in the ACS database.
- Organizes and maintains the stock of spare parts to ensure top efficiency of all infrastructure and existing installations.
7. Integration of the data coming from LoRa WAN network into the FRIM platform
- Provision and installation of new LoRa deviceserversoftware.
- Configuration of the LoRa devicesoftware into FRIM as required.
- Test of the operability of the new software.
- Provision and installation of Raspberry modules in Vigia enclosure.
- Configuration of the Raspberry devicessoftware into FRIM as required.
- Installation and Test of the RFID reader, temperature/humidity sensors, close/open magnetic relays into the rack.
8. Perform other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.
Impact of results:
The effective and successful achievement of key results by the ICT Assistant directly affects the overall efficiency and effectiveness of the relevant business unit/project, in ICT management, impacting the timely and effective implementation of the respective services and deliverables. This ensures client satisfaction and promotes the image and credibility of UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management. This enhances UNOPS’ competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services in the country/region served.
- Completion of Secondary education is required. Diploma or University Degree, preferably in information sciences, computer sciences or engineering or other relevant areas, is desirable.
- Minimum of 4 years of progressively responsible professional experience in the field of ICT Infrastructure is required.
- Working knowledge of Tetra networks is required.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience with FO splicing and termination is required.
- Working knowledge of Lora WAN networks and 3D Additive manufacturing is a plus.
- Foundation certification in Prince2 is desired.
- Foundation certification in ITIL Service management is desired.
- Knowledge of ICT Infrastructure Monitoring Systems and IoT in general is desirable.
- Experience in an international/multicultural organization is desirable.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is a requirement;
- Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type : Staff
- Contract level : G4
- Contract duration : One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability'
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
The deadline to submit application to this position is 23 April 2020.