As one of the most trusted financial brands in the UK Scottish Widows are embarking on a transformative journey to create excellent experiences for our General Insurance and Protection customers through their customer journeys and our products.
Want to know more?
Our aim is to create a forward-thinking engineering culture that will push boundaries to support the business in delivering high quality, efficient and impactful outcomes for customers across the Scottish Widows digital estate.
We're active partners in a number of accelerator communities including Startupbootcamp, Accenture Fintech Labs, Codebase and Fintech Scotland. These Innovation partnerships allow us to work collaboratively with start-ups on experiments across a range of disruptive technologies.
Recent use cases in 2018 include IoT smart home devices to support risk reduction, AI predictive Underwriting, on demand Insurance with dynamic pricing and Health and Well-being apps to drive customer engagement.
About the role:
Joining us as a Full Stack Web Engineer, you'll play a key role in shaping the way we design, build, test and deploy using cutting edge technology.
You'll enable us to:
- Launch new financial products
- Launch new digital marketing initiatives – promotions
- Extend the functionality of our existing web and mobile applications to attract and retain customers
- Integrate 3rd party APIs to our products and services
- Secure, update and maintain multiple content repositories
- Build responsive web pages using frameworks/tools such as Bootstrap, Flow and React
You'll be part of our cross-disciplinary feature team in addition to being a highly experienced member of our wider Scottish Widows Engineering team. As part of these teams, you'll demonstrate and apply exemplary software engineering practices and skills, whilst working in a collaborative and agile environment.
You’ll learn new skills, technologies and approaches to software development as well as benefiting from a culture that celebrates diversity, equal opportunity and provides opportunities for flexible working.
Here's where you'll make a difference:
- You'll write modular, well tested front-end applications that remain easy to maintain as the codebase and business continues to scale
- You'll contribute to setting the strategic direction for how front-end applications are developed within the team
- You'll ensure software is built in a way that is consistent with the frameworks, patterns and practices that exist across the wider engineering community
- You'll understand and apply industry innovation, and the sharing of knowledge to provide solutions for complex business problems where no precedent may exist, and ensure the implementation of solutions where appropriate
- You'll Mentor and develop junior front-end engineers, providing clear and constructive feedback, whilst creating opportunities for learning and growth
- You'll also ensure front-end applications are fast, secure and work across all manner of devices and viewports
What we need from you:
- You'll have an understanding of the entire application stack, deep and broad knowledge, and significant exposure to modern web technologies, especially; Node.js, HTML5, CSS3 and REACT.js
- We'll need you to have a strong understanding of source code repositories and tools such as Git, and JIRA
- You'll be familiar with an enterprise environment with automated build/test/release processes, source code management (Git) and change-management (JIRA)
- We need your strong knowledge of the software development life-cycle from design, build to production
- You'll have experience building high-performing and secure front-end code
If this is you, come and join our inclusive, values-led culture focused on making a difference.
Together we'll make it possible...
So what can we offer you in return?
Whatever your aspiration, you can also expect excellent benefits, personal development and a career that’s enriching and full of opportunity.
You'll also receive a package that includes
- Discretionary bonus between 10-20% of base pay
- Cash sum of 4% which you can exchange for a variety of benefits or simply take the cash
- Private Medical Insurance
- Pension, where we'll give up to a max of 13%
- Share plans
- 30 days holiday
Are you interested in joining us? Apply today, we’d love to hear from you...