One in five households in the UK live in social housing, a sector with the right values at its core but that has historically struggled to deploy innovations in the home. Many residents still can’t afford to heat their homes and live in cold, mouldy properties they can’t be proud of. At Switchee, we believe that everyone deserves to live in a decent home and that the environments we inhabit have a massive influence on our ability to enjoy life and prosper.
We may be only three years old, but it’s already been quite a ride! Our first product, the internet connected Switchee thermostat is already in 35 of the biggest housing providers in the UK. We’re growing 100% year on year and are backed by some of the best-known investors in technology and social impact.
To strengthen our small team of 15 passionate and ambitious people we are looking for an outstanding individual to join us as
Embedded Software Engineer
We are driven by a collective desire to make a positive impact in the housing sector, both for residents and landlords, so your commitment to our values and mission are paramount.
As an embedded software engineer, it will be your responsibility to design and implement embedded software solutions that run in an optimized manner on our hardware platform. The hardware platform comprises an ST ARMmicrocontroller, sensors, and advanced radio communications to deliver the best smart thermostat solution for social housing.
We are looking for someone with drive and a creative mind capable of solving complex problems in a neat, simple and reliable fashion. You will be part of the engineering team and work closely with the current embedded software team.
We firmly believe extraordinary people can come from a wide range of places – but we wouldn’t be surprised if the person who gets this role has:
- Master/bachelor degree in Computer Science or Engineering from a leading university
- 3+ years experience in developing for embedded systems at application level
- 3+ years experience with driver and board-level software development
- 2+ years experience with board bring up and systems debugging
- Proven ability to drive a subsystem or product to completion
- Experience developing software in a bare-metal or RTOS environment
- Familiarity with debugging tools such as bus analyzers and oscilloscopes
- Solid programming experience in C / C++ and preferably scripting languages like python
- Experience in hands-on development and troubleshooting on embedded targets using oscilloscope, logic analyser and jtag
- Experience with common interfaces like SPI,I2C,UART,USB, DMA, Flash and GPIO’s
- Knowledgeable in use of tool chains and debug tools like GCC
- Experience with ARM based processors (Specifically the Cortex M family)
- Knowledge of reading schematics and data sheets for components
- Familiarity with software configuration management tools, defect tracking tools, and peer review like Jira/GIT and confluence
- Experience working with typical IoT communication protocol like BT, Zigbee, ZWave or Sub-GHz communication
We are a diverse bunch of people at Switchee. That said, there are some characteristics we always look for:
- You deeply care about Switchee’s mission; you have a desire to build something revolutionary, that will disrupt an industry, and positively impact ordinary people’s lives.
- You care about the environment, are interested in energy efficiency and have thought about the challenges and opportunities posed by an evolving domestic energy market
- You like technology and neat solutions to complex problems
- You thrive on challenge and change; you naturally gravitate to the hardest questions first and love thinking differently to solve them.
- You are biased towards action and you’re happiest when you’re ‘getting stuff done’.
- You’re open, positive & straightforward. You’re not afraid to stand up for your convictions, even when it’s hard to do so.
- You delight in your colleagues’ successes and thrive on your failures; you grasp any opportunity for learning and constantly seek to improve.
We believe that radical innovation in internet connected technology can ensure that every resident, every day, is living in a home that allows them to succeed. That’s why our products are built not just on great technology, but on an understanding of what people want from the space they live in.
This approach led us to reimagine the most mundane household object, a thermostat, into a product that automagically reduces energy bills, looks great and offers control to those who want it.
We are also revolutionising the way social landlords manage their housing stock with an obsessively tailored SAAS property dashboard and handy alerts on things like when the boiler is going to break.
Our next project is to build the ultimate connected hub for the social home. It’s going to revolutionise the way residents interact with their properties and landlords manage their homes.
Life at Switchee
We like to keep things simple and flexible at Switchee and consider you to be joining our family. We don’t currently track holidays so you’re free to take as much as you need. We often work remotely but are sensitive to the needs of our colleagues.
We socialise together with regular outings in London and an annual “working remotely” trip where you have the option (but not obligation) to join us in working from a fun location.
If we end up working together, we can offer a competitive salary and a generous stake in the company.
If you believe in the same things, don’t hesitate any longer, apply now! Please be in touch soon as we’ll proceed once the right person is found. If you’d like to apply please submit a CV and cover letter by clicking the button below.
Please note: Successful candidates should be able to attend a face-to-face interview at our office in London.