Science doesn’t just happen in a lab; the next BIG scientific discoveries relies on developers and engineers like YOU!
We are seeking a Database Administrator/Engineer to join the Database Team which provides key central database administration and engineering support to the Services and Research groups at EMBL-EBI.
You will work alongside the Systems Application team and the technical lead to deliver…
- a functioning, stable and optimised production environment
- continuous improvement of the database backend
- automation, innovation projects
- new database backend
- refactoring of databases
however, during your life time at EMBL-EBI you may be required to support other technologies, which we will give you full training for.
The Person We are looking for:
- Ideally you will have a degree in Computer Science or an equivalent discipline.
- You will be able to demonstrate proven experience for at least 3 years or more in a role with similar responsibilities.
- You have real-life experience supporting production database systems that are part of live services and pipelines.
- Administration, configuration and tuning of MySQL.
- Administration, configuration and tuning of MongoDB.
- Administration, configuration and tuning of PostgreSQL.
- Experience with programming languages including one or more among SQL, Python, Shell or equivalent is required.
- You have experience with supporting databases on Linux RedHat or equivalent.
- The ability to work within a team, good interpersonal and communication skills and excellent working knowledge of English are required to succeed in this job.
- You will also need to have a service-oriented attitude, be well-organised and able to work to deadlines.
We operate on an on-premises infrastructure distributed across geographically distant datacentres, if you have a passion for challenges, including new technologies, we have several projects in the area where this post will operate such as the journey to the Cloud, self-service for DevOps, and the expansion of our NoSQL support offering with Graph and Elastic.
Whether you are just starting a career in Database administration/engineering or you are a pro, we are on the lookout for great talent to join us here at EBI. You can check out the team by visiting:
What we can offer you.
We are situated in South Cambridge, with great links to Cambridge and awesome facilities you can see why over 750 people want to work here already
- Competitive Salary
- Fully Comprehensive Private Health insurance, for you and your family.
- Generous Annual leave
- Parental Leave and Child Sick Days
- Free Shuttle Bus
- Flexible Working
- Fun, Like Movie Nights, Free Biscuits
- Subsided Gym and Cafeteria
A Day in the Life of our Database Team Provides the following support:
- Database software installation and configuration;
- High availability;
- Data replication solutions including across distant datacentres;
- Automation via scripting, configuration management, processes and standards;
- Back-up and recovery;
- Disaster recovery;
- Performance tuning;
- Query Optimisation;
- Performance and errors troubleshooting;
- Data copies provisioning
- Monitoring, reporting and keeping online documentation up-to-date;
- Support the database and application developers from the EMBL-EBI service teams and collaborate with the IT systems administrators of the EMBL-EBI IT infrastructure.
To view a copy of the full job description please visit our website.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities and this will continue after Brexit. For more information please see our website. Visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.