Travel Technology is in our Blood
At Holiday Extras we believe time is precious, and holidays are some of the most precious times we have. So it’s fitting our purpose and promise to our customers is less hassle, more holiday.
We’re a fast-moving travel technology business, obsessed with making it easy for customers to make the most of their trip. With over 4 million bookings a year we are one of the UK’s most innovative travel companies and continue to grow fast and expand our offering as a trips-based business.
We’re the UK market leader in travel ancillaries; once you have booked a flight and accommodation, we take care of the rest. That includes airport hotels, insurance, airport parking, lounges, foreign currency, car hire, resort transfers and attractions. Almost all of our business is conducted online, either direct through our own website and app or through our network of partners that include the major travel retailers, airlines and tour operators.
Our product engineering team are based in our custom-built Wave and Reef campuses, just 5 minutes from the beach in Hythe, Kent, less than an hour from London. We also have engineers in Sofia (Bulgaria) and at our tech hub in Birmingham. In total we have more than 130 people working on our product development including engineers, product managers, testers, and designers.
The Data Team
The Data team at Holiday Extras are a growing, versatile and dedicated team; we're looking for a Data Engineer to join us! We work closely with the whole business to make sure everyone has access to the right data, at the right time. We have some exciting goals to achieve and we are constantly working towards having data that powers intelligent, personal and useful conversations with our customers.
We’re in the process of moving our data storage to a scalable environment using Google Cloud Services. We are experimenting with live streaming data and improving our batch processing. We are continuously collecting and exposing data sources to feed new data sets, empowering the business continue to learn and grow.
We pride ourselves on being able to offer exciting challenges, whilst also providing a flexible, fulfilling environment in which to work, in the heart of the Kent countryside, 5 minutes from the beach. We're open to full time or part time applications; we just want to find the right person for the job. Our Learning Academy, quiet Lounge, supportive environment and focus on personal development, help our team members grow and become experts in their field! We have fortnightly “Project Lounge” days where you have the chance to work on anything extending your knowledge in different business areas or simply collaborate in a project to make a difference to the business.
You will be joining at an exciting period of exceptional projected growth; Our people move fast and deliver excellence at pace, never accepting second best. We may have been in business 33 years, but Holiday Extras is an innovative and entrepreneurial travel-tech business with a startup mentality.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- A versatile and experienced data engineer with expertise in writing advanced SQL.
- Demonstrable ability to work with a variety of data infrastructure, including relational databases (e.g. DB2, MySQL), and column store (e.g. Google Big Query/Redshift)
- Expertise in building and maintaining reliable ETL jobs
- Experience designing new data models based on multiple data sources.
- A desire to understand the business and where it’s heading.
- A track record of being solutions focussed and an excellent problem solver, not afraid to make decisions and act quickly.
- Always determined to acquire new skills and learn.
- You’ll have good numerical skills and approach every task with a flexible ‘can do’ attitude.
- Experience in the following scripting languages; Python, Shell or Java.
- Experience working with Talend, Luigi or Google Data Flow.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- You will have autonomy and responsibility to solve the interesting problems we face daily.
- You will be learning and working with cutting-edge tech and solutions.
- You will develop your career in a strong team with a well-defined culture, that is building a fast-moving, disruptive business.
- You will be working to Agile in a continuous delivery environment with dedicated Agile Coaches.
- You will lead and assist in solving challenges and delivering innovative new experiences with internal and external partners.
- You will be responsible for making data accessible to various users around our business and engaging with the users to understand what their data requirements are.
- You will learn where our data is stored and processed to do this job well. You will have the opportunity to work on new stimulating projects as well as using our existing platforms.
- You will be a self-organised individual who can follow processes well, whilst collaborating with your team and the rest of the business.
- You’re going to have a lot of fun!
If you’ve got a few minutes check out our blog and see what our developers have to say.
If this sounds like a fantastic opportunity, please send in your CV and Cover Letter.