Other companies make products. We make a difference!
Software Developer required – UL Environment and Sustainability – Cambridge
Around the globe, UL works to help customers, purchasers and policymakers navigate market risk and complexity. UL builds trust in the safety, security and sustainability of products, organizations and supply chains – enabling smarter choices and better lives. Our robust suite of offerings includes testing, inspection, auditing, certification, marketing claim verification, training, advisory services and software solutions.
In all that we do, we apply science and expertise to enable the responsible development, production, marketing and purchase of the goods, solutions and innovations of today and tomorrow.
Due to our continued growth, we are looking for Software Developers (various levels) to be based in Cambridge and work for our UL Environment and Sustainability division.
- As a valued member of the development team you will be responsible for grooming and implementing user stories covering both product and architectural areas.
- You will be expected to foster team culture and the breaking down of knowledge silos by collaborating within and beyond your team and helping to facilitate communication with both your team and the department.
- Attention to detail and a focus on quality at an early stage is paramount, especially as the department is currently implementing a continuous delivery model.
- All developers within the department are expected to design, develop and maintain high quality, production ready, code and constructively peer review the code of other developers.
- You will be participating fully in all agile ceremonies and working with your team to refine, groom and query requirements and propose approach.
- Your passion for quality will encourage you to engage with the QA team early in development cycle and help them refine test scenarios. It will also encourage you to join and participate in knowledge sharing guilds and learn product areas relevant to your team. This dedication will help keep business on track with continuous integration and delivery and your team to achieve its goals.
- As an established developer with several years’ experience you should be looking to hone your skills possibly by focusing more in a specific area with the view to becoming an expert that can teach and inspire others.
- Architects will be able to trust you with stories that have complex requirements in the knowledge you will do a good job but also ask for help when needed.
- You should be participating in the design process at most stages and be contributing ideas for process or team improvements on a regular basis.
We are interested in enthusiastic problem solvers and are confident the right person will do well no-matter what arena their previous development experience is in or their educational background.
We expect the experience you have gained will allow you learn and adapt quickly therefore the list below is a guide to some of the skills and technologies we currently employ.
- 5 or more years of development experience (commercial, educational or personal)
- Continuous integration, deployment and delivery pipelines
- C# and .NET on Windows platforms
- NET / MVC / WebApi / RESTful
- Oracle PL/SQL, stored procedures
- HTML 5, CSS 2.1+, XML, JSON
- Test automation frameworks for unit, integration and UI testing
- API/Microservices based design and development
- Efficient team collaboration using good verbal and written communication
What we can offer you:
- An international, innovative and dynamic work environment
- Personal development: a large range of training which enables you to develop your technical and soft skills
- Not to mention our work-life balance environment and flexible/remote working options