Central to everything Green Man Gaming does, is engineering. The company's roots came from an engineering solution to allow people to sell used digital games back to the retailer. Things have come a long way and our vision has changed slightly, but engineering is still a major factor on what drives us.
Oh big wow, you’re a shop, where is the challenge in that? Even seemingly simple operations may become a challenge at scale, and we deal with steep traffic spikes all the time. Have you ever thought how you distribute hundreds of thousands of keys to pre-purchased customers? It needs to be fast as every gamer wants their key yesterday, each key is obviously single use so you need to ensure the same key doesn't go to two customers. Our engineers have, and we have patents around this.
We are an e-commerce site but with our growth gives us exciting challenges. Our code is service driven, we have services, for identity, key distribution, etc. on top of that sits our front end website which talks to each of these services.
The frontend website is the portal our customers take into our world and you will be helping us to further develop the customer experience and ensure that we give our customers more than just a "I bought this game" experience. Including social and recommendations not just on what people buy but what people play. Come join us.
- Working in an agile fashion to maintain and deliver new features in the backend stack that powers the customer-facing website.
- Writing reliable, performant, scalable and testable code under the guidance of more senior colleagues.
- Participate in retrospectives where the team will look back on the sprint and look at ways things went well and not so well to improve our practices.
- Investigate and raise cards to support new features.
- Object-oriented and/or functional programming skills in at least ONE of: Python, Scala or Go.
- Version control and issue tracking experience (eg. Git, Github or Gerrit)
- Good understanding of algorithms and data structures.
- Some understanding of application design-patterns, web services, etc.
- Flexibility, lateral thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Database knowledge: relational databases (eg. Postgres, MySQL, etc.) and/or NoSQL (eg. MongoDB, DynamoDB, etc.)
Nice to have and/or willing to gain:
- Experience with multithreading and asynchronous processing
- Understanding of data-intensive computing and distributed system design
- Experience with provisioning infrastructure in Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud Platform
- Any data analytics experience including but not limited to Hadoop, R, MapReduce, BigQuery is highly regarded
- Understanding of DevOps technology landscape such as Docker, AWS CloudFormation, Micro-services.
- Experience with machine learning and data mining.
- 30 days’ paid holiday per year (including Bank Holidays) increased with the length of service
- Sabbatical leave following 3 and 6 years of employment
- Company Share Option Plan
- Pension Scheme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Corporate Gym membership Scheme
- A fully stocked beer & soft drinks fridge
- Lots of company BBQ's (on our lovely balcony)
- Board game nights
- 50% game discount for employees
- 3 office gaming stations