Do you want to work in an exciting interdisciplinary environment with the potential to directly impact medical research, cancer care and patients lives? Are you creative and interested in solving meaningful problems? Then join us here at MSK, where we can provide you with the opportunity to make a difference with your career in IT. We believe that this is an exciting role for someone who has the right background to be apart of our dynamic team and who wants to apply their skills to support our mission here.
Machine learning and deep learning are changing how cancer patients are diagnosed and treated at modern hospitals. Our Computational Pathology team leverage large-scale machine learning on a high performance compute infrastructure to transform pathology from a qualitative to quantitative science. We develop web applications which are used by medical doctors and researchers in the clinic.
This is a research and development position involving the development and support of biomedical applications and software tools for research and clinical purposes. The Back-End Software Engineer will assist in the design, implementation and maintenance of software tools that use computational pathology and machine learning methods, access in-house and external databases, and integrate and display data on the fly.
- Work and collaborate with a diverse team of machine learning experts, software engineers and medical doctors to build a new generation of artificial intelligence in cancer detection and treatment.
- Build software and algorithms that enable discoveries in medicine and the evaluation of biological variation in disease, including cancer.
- Develop software linking databases.
- Plan and implement the integration of new software tools into existing resources.
- Be responsible for backend design, coding, testing, debugging and the documentation of software systems.
- Participate in web server application development and testing of complex systems.
- Provide consultation and mentorship to research scientists, as well as other bioinformatics and software engineers at the Institution.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics or related field.
- 2-4 years of experience as a Software Engineer or a Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics or related field.
- Experience in web server application development and in the building and testing of complex systems.
- Familiarity with advanced:
- Web server frameworks such as Nancy and Razor.
- Databases such as Redis and SQL servers.
- Development tools such as Git, Visual Studio and Jira.
- Ability to:
- Communicate with experts in computer science and medicine.
- Take responsibility over products and work independently towards their completion.
- Measure progress and report results.
- Document code requirements, systems arch and data flows.
- Train medical doctors and personnel on software products.
- Interest in building novel medical software applications, in collaboration with medical partners.
- Interest in building machine learning & deep learning and their application in medicine.
- Maintains and improves professional growth and development through participation in scientific and technical discussions, workshops, and seminars to keep current with developments in web technology and computational tools.