About Semiotic Labs
Passionate about solving the problem of unplanned downtime, Semiotic Labs uses AI-driven electrical waveform analysis to create smart predictive maintenance solutions that increase productivity while saving customers’ time and money.
We serve customers such as Vopak, Schiphol, Nouryon and ArcelorMittal. Our product, SAM4, leverages machine learning algorithms and IoT sensors to detect upcoming failures in critical industrial assets up to months in advance. But SAM4 does more than just prevent unplanned downtime. It also enables the world's largest and most successful industrial companies to significantly reduce energy waste.
We are a growing, energetic company where professionalism, a great atmosphere and cutting-edge technology go hand in hand.
Our team in Leiden, the Netherlands currently has about 40 people and continues to grow.
What you will do
In this job you will gain experience in many aspects of software engineering. You will be part of a team of professional senior software engineers - allowing you to learn and get up to speed quickly!
The core areas you will work on:
- Building, maintaining and improving innovative web applications that offer actionable information about the health, performance and energy consumption of connected industrial assets.
- As a junior full stack software engineer, you will make valuable and important contributions to our roadmap. This will often start with requirement analysis. There are many incredible ideas and improvements to our tooling, portals and dashboards just waiting to be engineered!
- In this position you will focus slightly more on back end development compared to front end development. Although great to have, world-class styling skills are not a necessity for this role!
- In addition to writing code, you will also review code.
Since you will be joining a relatively small development team responsible for a complex solution, you might also contribute to some of the following:
- Creating functional dashboards for different user groups
- Further development of our infrastructure and backend systems
- Building functional APIs to expose our services
- Continuous integration, automation and daily deployments
How we work
We believe in ‘focused guidance’. After you’ve given it your very best shot first, your teammates are there to guide and help you. We don’t expect you to have an answer to each and every question just yet. Together we will invest in honing your skills and building relevant experience. This will ensure you of a solid foundation to build your software engineering career on.
Furthermore, the development team uses its own simple, practical and functional methodology, allowing you to fully focus on software engineering without having to switch tasks.
At Semiotic Labs, we work based on the principle of freedom and responsibility.
The development team
The software engineering team currently consists of 7 experienced developers working on a large architecture covering a wide domain, from signal processing on our edge devices through dashboarding for different user groups. Continuous improvement and daily deployments are at the heart of the high level of quality we deliver.
Since we work on cutting-edge technology, we use an up-to-date stack:
- Python / Flask
- The team uses Linux distributions for their development environments
Who should apply?
This is a position for a junior software engineer with some relevant coding experience. You might be an ambitious recent Computer Science graduate. Or perhaps you’ve already spent some time working as a software engineer in a professional environment.
We value mindset and personality as much as we value skills and experience. The person we’re looking for is self-starting, hands-on, ambitious, communicative and smart.
Mandatory skills and experience:
- A computer science background or related
- Proficiency with coding in Python
- Some relevant software development experience
- Recent work or projects you can show us (e.g. GitHub)
- Good communication skills
Experience with any or all of the following is a big plus!
- Frontend: experience coding in Angular or React
- Backend: experience coding in Java / C++ / .NET / Node.js / Rails / Flask or Django
- Contributions to the open source community
- Continuous Integration
- Relational and non-relational databases
Please note Semiotic Labs does not relocate candidates from outside the EU.
We will only hire people with an EU passport, have eligibility to work in, or are already a highly skilled migrant in the Netherlands.
What we offer
- A competitive salary based on experience, plus holiday allowance of 8%
- Exposure to many aspects of software engineering and guidance from expert software engineers
- The chance to work on cutting-edge technology that affects industry worldwide
- A fun and professional company culture based on the principle of freedom and responsibility
- Daily fresh lunches and healthy snacks (order your favorite soups or salads on our dedicated Slack lunch channel)
- A growing scale-up led by experienced entrepreneurs and managers with a solid track record
For more info, please drop our recruiter Tristan van der Hoeven a line, or call +31 85 303 1178. He will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.